Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Favourite Poem

A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?



1. Personification

- " Amid the roar of a surf-tomented shore "

Shows that in reality, there is nothing good, shore can also be tormented


2. Metaphor

- " Yet if hope has flown away "

Comparing with a bird, showing that in reality hope is all but a dream

- " Save one from the pitiless wave "

Compares the wave to a merciless person, telling reality is cruelty

- " How few! yet they creep, through my fingers to the deep "

Tells life is a dream, even holding grains of sand would be so difficult



The Reason I like this Poem

This poem explains that reality and fantasy has a big gap, and that life is not always about fantasy. Fantasy can make dreams seem very alive, however, it is very different from reality. Reality is cruel, differing from fantasy, as they seem very innocent and incredible. In the poem, there was one part about the person holding a few grains of sand, however, they moved rapidly out of his hand until there was none left. This explains that in reality, even holding a few grains of sand would be so difficult. I like this poem because it can really tell reality and fantasy apart, and that dreams will not always be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment